Stay in a pet friendly vacation cabin by Carolina Mountain Vacations in Bryson City or Cherokee, North Carolina and bring along your favorite travel companion, your pet!
The owners of some of the nc log cabins and vacation homes we represent have agreed to allow pets to be guest at their cabins. Therefore, providing you with pet friendly lodging in the Smoky Mountains. Although the cabin owners may allow pets at their cabins, these pet friendly lodgings where built as private second homes and vacation getaways and do not have pet friendly furnishings, fenced yards, enclosed decks or kennels. For suggestions on what to bring for your pet on vacation check out our pet friendly travel tips below. As our policy is to provide the same high quality maintenance and cleanliness our guest (pet owners and non pet owners alike) have come to expect at all of the vacation rentals we represent; each pet friendly cabin is thoroughly inspected for and cleaned of all traces of pets before and after your stay. A small non-refundable pet fee of $45 for the first pet plus $20 per additional pet (3 pets maximum) is applied to your vacation rental total. All of the clean pet friendly vacation cabins listed below are also available to guest without pets. Please see the cabins info page or ask our reservation desk for more specific details about the cabin you would like for a pet friendly vacation.
A signed pet agreement and a non-refundable fee of $45 for the first pet and $20 for each additional pet (to a maximum of 3 pets) is required. Please bring your pet’s bedding and/or crates as we do not allow pets on furniture or beds. Dogs must be on leashes at all times when outside of the cabin. Pets are not to be left unattended in the cabin unless crated. Guest are required to provide their own crate. Pet owners will be responsible for any damage. Because, not all of our North Carolina cabin rentals are Pet Friendly and we must do a complete inspection before you arrive at your cabin and
a thorough pet treatment after you check out. Please ask before bringing your travel companion along, as failure to do so will result in forfeiture of security deposit.
Note: Pets are not allowed on the furniture or beds at any time.
If pet hair is found on furniture or bedding then the pet fee will be doubled for excessive cleaning to prepare the cabin for the next guest.
We know how excited you are to bring your pet along on vacation to the smoky mountains and we want your stay in a Carolina Mountain Vacations pet friendly cabin to be comfortable and relaxing for you and your pet. For that reason we have compiled a few pet friendly travel tips our cabin owners discovered while visiting the Bryson City and Cherokee North Carolina mountains.
1) Visit your Vet and make sure your pets vaccinations are all up to date. Bring a copy of their records.
2) Bring medications; If your pet has any special needs, make sure you are prepared to take care of them should the need arise. Bryson City NC has a local Vet but the nearest after hours Emergency Vet is almost an hour away in Asheville NC.
3) I.D. for your pets. Your pets should have current I.D. tags on or be microchipped. Consider a temporary tag with your cell phone number or where you're staying if one location. If your pet becomes lost, someone might be trying to reach you in Gatlinburg TN while you're in Cherokee NC. Make it easy for people to locate you.
4) Treat your pet for fleas and ticks before leaving for your vacation in the smoky mountains. With the abundance of wildlife in the mountains ticks and other pests can be a common occurrence.
5) Bring your pets bedding (please wash beforehand) and any toys they might want to have along. Carpeting, furniture, and throw rugs are not acceptable chew toys. While many pets sleep in the same bed as their owners (our ownersincluded) please consider the other vacationing guests who'll be staying in the cabin after you. They might not be pet people and used to having pet hair around as a natural occurrence. Even our owners pets sleep on on the floor when they are at their own cabin. If you think your pet will have a problem getting up on the furniture, please bring a clean blanket of some sort to cover the furniture. Again, please be considerate of those who will stay in the rental cabin after you.
6) Bring more than enough pet food with you, especially if you feed your pets special food. Pet food available in the Bryson City area may not be the same as what you feed your pets at home. There are a couple Wal-Marts within about a half hours drive but the nearest PetSmart is at least an hours drive away. There are a couple grocery stores in town that carry the larger national brands such as Purina but no guarantee they'll carry what you normally feed your pets.
7) Bring your pet's water/food bowls with you. Make sure you carry water with you when traveling around the area for your pets when you are out hiking. The local wildlife can safely drink the water in streams but it's not always a good idea for humans or pets to be drinking water from the mountain streams.
8) Keep your dog on a leash. A dog unfamiliar with the mountains of Bryson City or Cherokee can get into trouble off lead, if they encounter a sudden drop off or an unfriendly animal encounter. Keep in mind you're in the natural environment of the NC Smoky Mountains and an encounter with a bear, deer, turkey or other animals your pet may not be familiar with or want to chase is not unheard of.
9) Cleanup after your pet when staying at any of our pet friendly rental cabins, please be considerate of our neighbors and the next guest to stay at the cabin.
10) Bring along a photo of your pet. Just in case something happens and they get lost, you'll have something with you to help identify them.
11) A parked car can get hot even in the Smoky Mountains of North Carolina. Remember to allow cross ventilation in a parked vehicle if you must have your pet with you when driving around the mountains
12) If traveling a long distance, you might want to test your pets with short trips to make sure they travel well. If necessary ask you vet about Medications to help calm your pet on a long drive.
What does " pet friendly " mean?
At Carolina Mountain Vacations Pet Friendly means that a cabin owner has agreed to allow pets to be guests at their cabin. It does not mean that the cabin is equipped or furnished for pets. Please read our
Is there an extra fee for pets?
YES; A small non-refundable pet fee of $45 for the first pet plus $20 per additional pet (3 pets maximum) is applied to your vacation rental total.
Will there be a crate at the cabin?
No; Guest are required to bring their pet's crate and bedding. Food and water dishes are also not included at the cabins. For tips and suggestions on what to bring for your pet on your vacation in Bryson City or Cherokee NC, please read our pet friendly travel tips.
Is it ok to leave my dog on the deck?
NO ; pets are not to be left unattended at the cabin unless crated. Most of our cabins do not have enclosed decks and some are quite high. Also, your pet may be as eager to explore the smoky mountains as you are and decide to try while you are away. Some of our pet friendly log cabins are located in secluded or semi-private locations where you are able to walk your dog or take a short hike around the property.
Where can I take my dog for a hike?
Many of our pet friendly vacation cabins are secluded with plenty of natural mountain landscape to walk your dog or take a short hike around the property. ( Please see the cabins info page or ask our reservation desk for more specific details about the cabin you would like for a pet friendly vacation.) For pet friendly trail info at Nantahala, and Pisgah national forest read our Pet Friendly Trails and NC Park Rules section.
Can my dog run around the yard?
No; for your pet's safety as much as the safety and peace of guests in neighboring cabins or homes pets are required to be leashed and under their owner's control at all times outside of the cabin. Most of our pet friendly cabins do not have fenced yards and some have neighboring cabins with in walking distance. In the natural mountain setting wild animals are possible and may lead your pet off through the forest or can attack your pet.
Is there a vet or emergency pet hospital close?
Regional Emergency Animal Care Hospital
677 Brevard Rd Asheville, NC 28806
REACH is able to accept emergency cases from
5 pm to 7 am Monday thru Friday and
open 24 hours a day Saturday and Sunday
as well as on holidays.
Bryson City Veterinary Clinic
200 Bryson Walk,
Bryson City, NC 28713
Cherokee Animal Hospital
Whittier, NC 28789
An afternoon on a mountain trail with you best friend can be a memorable experience. But a ticket/fine from a park ranger can be an experience you might want to avoid.
Around the Nantahala Outdoor Center is a good area to watch the rafters coming down the river and appears to be very pet friendly. We've seen a lot of pets with their owners enjoying the view and entertainment as people go through the falls.
In The Great Smoky Mountains National Park pets are not allowed on most trails. Places in the GSMNP where pets are allowed include: roadsides, parking areas, established picnic area, front country campgrounds, and the Gatlinburg and Oconaluftee River trails. Pets must be on a leash not to exceed six feet in length when in these areas. *guide, search, and hearing dogs are permitted on all trails. (For more Information visit the Smokies Guide.)
Dogs are allowed in the large picnic grounds of the Deep Creek area of the Great Smoky Mountain National Park in Bryson City, NC. Pets must be on a leash not to exceed six feet in length when in these areas. Pets are not allowed on the hiking trails to the waterfalls. *guide, search, and hearing dogs are permitted on all trails. (For more Information visit the Smokies Guide.)
At Chimney Rock Park dogs are welcome to hike the trails but are not allowed in the elevator so be prepared to HIKE and make sure you bring plenty of water for all of you. ( for more information on Chimney Rock Park)
Dogs are allowed on the more than 100 varied trails throughout the Blue Ridge Parkway. Dogs and other pets must be on a leash or under physical restraint at all times while along the Parkway. ( click For More info on North Carolina Hiking trails)
You can take your dog on any of the hiking trails in the Pisgah National Forest and Nantahala National Forest. Dogs may not be left unattended, and they must be leashed and cleaned up after. Dogs are not allowed in buildings.
Summer's End Savings
Sept. 10 - 30
Stay 3 nights and get the 4th night free.
This is one of the best times of the year to visit the smoky mountains.
The crowds have left, The days are cooling off and all the Attractions are still open.
Offer Valid only on reservations made after 7/30/2015
Three consecutive night minimum stay required.
Subject to availability.
No cash value.